Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Phrygian dominant

Take the Phrygian mode, change the minor third to a major third, and you have the scale Lorca used for the Canción de Belisa and "Depierte la novia" from Bodas de sangre. It's called the dominant Phrygian. It's found a lot in flamenco. You can find it on the piano by playing all the white notes from E to E (that's the Phrygian mode), and then putting in G# instead of G. The melodies of these two songs are very similar too. Germaine Montero sings them on radio and record BEFORE the publication of the sheet music in 1960, in transcriptions by Pittaluga. Her musical arrange and conductor for for these songs is Bacarisse, who along with Pittaluga belonged to the Grupo de los ocho, disciples of Manuel de Falla and friends of Lorca. I'm sure other people aside from me know about these things, but I had to go into deep research mode to find them. I ordered a copy of the Pittaluga book of Lorca songs, and the bookseller sent me something else. Then I ordered it again from another seller, and it came. A lot of the secondary sources on Lorca and music don't even cite this book, and I didn't even know it existed until a year and half into my project.

No comments: