Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Problematic

I remember the first person I knew who used the word problematic to mean simply objectionable. To me, the word had always meant complex and difficult to untangle. This person's use of the word sent a shiver down my spine, because it seemed almost the opposite meaning. Slavery, for example, is not "problematic," it is wrong. I feel the same way about "inappropriate." To me, the word should be used for burping at the table, not for violent, harassing behavior. You shouldn't use the word fragility to describe racism, either, while I'm at it.  The problem is not people feeling defensive when you accuse them of racism. Who wouldn't be defensive in that situation? Please stop using these words wrong. Thanks. 

No comments: