Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Writing in Prose

At very few times in my life have I been able to write directly in prose. In other words, sit down and simply write complete sentences rather than painstakingly and with great effort turning rough notes into sentences, or writing rough notes that will require this treatment later. Now is such a time, when I am simply writing the book rather than picking at it distractedly.

I am not saying I won't need to revise later, but the sentences are emerging more or less as they will appear in the final book. I am producing a not half-assed first draft rather than a shitty one.

I don't expect this to occur this way for the rest of my life, but it is very encouraging. I think it is a sign that I am writing the book I am meant to write.

Of course, the prose of the blog is improvised in complete sentences, and I don't revise it at all. The practice I get every day writing has to have helped me in my scholarly prose as well.

No comments: