Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Adorno

 Adorno was the only big name theorist who wrote about music at all. As a consequence, people in popular music studies still use Adorno, despite Adorno's dislike of popular music. I did a blurb for a book on a Spanish jazz pianist, that used Adorno, because of this. Of course, with the requisite apologetics. It is a good book and my blurb was complimentary, sincerely so. This is just one of those odd contradictions. Somehow, Adorno's harsh words about jazz don't matter. 

He lived until 1969, so he had time to rectify, if he cared to or wanted to. He outlived Coltrane, for God's sake.   

2 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

Who was the pianist? I saw Albert Sanz in Valencia on Friday.

Jonathan said...

Tete Montoliu