Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, May 19, 2017

Got Prose?

I just sat down and wrote a few paragraphs of fluent, almost final prose, this morning, almost 500 words in a little more than an hour. This is what we do; as scholars we are professional writers, and we can write. Now granted, that is fast even for me, but I simply knew what I wanted to say and said it.

There will be struggles in writing, but they will be less melodramatic the more you write. It does get easier with experience and it should, or it is like no other activity known to humankind.

I think we do ourselves a disservice when we overdramatize the writing process. It is not particularly painful when we take most of the ego out of it. What makes it difficult and fraught is the constant self-doubt or need for self-affirmation.

   

No comments: