Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Prose

This is the prose of the contemporary academy:

A situation that took place in a sociology classroom earlier this week has been brought to my attention and I felt the need to communicate to you about it, particularly as it pertains to our value of inclusivity.
A professor is reported to have presented materials and made comments about which some students have expressed concern. We are taking the matter very seriously and are gathering the facts to determine if and what action is warranted.
The classroom is an environment in which students and faculty can and should discuss challenging topics and ideas, which makes it all the more important that we gather and fully review the facts in this case.  
As we review this situation, let me say unequivocally that SUNY Geneseo has a steadfast and uncompromising commitment to diversity and inclusivity. We work diligently to sustain an inviting and supportive environment for people of all gender identities, gender expressions, sexual orientations, races, religions and other identities.   
I use this opportunity to remind you that our Interim Chief Diversity Officer robbie routenberg (capitalization style intentional) is available as a resource to the campus community. I would also encourage any students who have support needs to contact Lenny Sancilio, dean of students, and Dillon Federici, coordinator of LGBTQ Programs and Services.
Sincerely,
....

2 comments:

Thomas said...

We have to go back to the days when scholars ran the universities. It made the administrative prose much better and it also meant they didn't turn every little thing into an "investigation". They literally had better things to do. This sort of prose comes from people whose job it is do things that are best described in these vague ways. If they tried to present their activities in the classic style (informally to intellectual equals) they would abandon 90% of their activities out of simple shame. The remaining 10% could be done by scholars themselves.

Leslie said...

Exactly.