Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Translation

Would I teach my translation course instead of composition and grammar? Yes, yes. I get credit for being flexible while getting better schedule, better courses. That's up for the fall. I'm excited. I think I'll use it as a springboard for me MFA Translation Workshop.

I've given it three times. This time I want it more focused on the translation of poetry, because that's where the interesting issues really come up. In other words, it's where you can't really translate adequately that you get to heart of things.

Benjamin's idea that a translatable text is one that most resist translation.

Appiah's "Thick Translation." To translate so that the translation can be used in the teaching of literature. Simple and profound insight.

My idea of the "wisdom of crowds" in translation. This justifies group work and an anthology that we will put together.

No comments: