Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, April 12, 2013

Yet More

What's American about American poetry?

I saw this website while working on my book on Lorca. I think I went through and counted how many poets mentioned him while reflecting on the Americanness of American poetry.

My answer would be either (a) not much or (b) everything. The very category implies Americanness, so every feature shared by enough poets would count. But if we don't have a definition of Americanness, then the exercise seems pointless.

1 comment:

Vance Maverick said...

What's American about America? Doesn't the "melting pot" myth mean that we are exceptional only in not being exceptional in the same way as other countries?