Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, January 13, 2019

Slow progress

While piano progress seems slow, I realized I only really started to get it a few months into 2018, when I came up with some interpretations of Mompou that I started to like, and have only been studying classical piano with my current teacher for only three semesters. Now I have a few parts of Mompou memorized and making progress on Chopin's Prelude in E minor opus 28 #4.  Progress doesn't come until a piece is memorized sufficiently so that reading and remembering the notes themselves is not at the forefront of my attention. I just don't like the visual cortex that involved in playing music. I usually don't have to look at the keyboard much either, unless it is a substantial jump up and down. I think the next step is slightly more difficult pieces, but at the same time I can get satisfaction with what I am already playing.  I don't even really have to think of progress at all, in fact. I can just play and let the improvement, if any more will happen, take care of itself. I do like to play slow pieces and just savor them, so I don't even have to worry about speed. I just have to go deeper into each of the pieces in my repertory.  

No comments: