Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, February 24, 2019

The Classic Anxiety / Prestige Dream

I had the classic anxiety / prestige dream.  I was at an academic conference and was mistaken for someone else. A French guy said to me: "Ah, Ud. es el experto americano en estudios miguelinos." I said, "pues, es cierto que he mencionado a Miguel de Molinos en un par de artículos, pero..." The other said guy said, "Incluso he coincidido con Ud. en otro congreso..." I wasn't sure whether I was the guy he meant or not. Later Jacques Derrida showed up. I'm not sure why we were speaking Spanish, but I guess my French isn't good enough to dream in.

Earlier I had realized that I was supposed to give my talk with a piano. I realized I hadn't memorized "Las tres morillas de Jaén," though someone else it my department had just played in perfectly (someone who in real life doesn't even play piano.).

No comments: