Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, February 10, 2019

The Idea

I came up with the central idea of the book recently: that the popular folkloric element in Lorca's work is the "object of desire" among musical adaptors while at the same time being what allows them to invest their music with greater prestige: thus the popularizing and intellectualizing impulses are actually one and the same thing.  I know that's not expressed eloquently yet, but at least I have it written down.  It has been implicit in what I'm doing for a while, but I only recently discovered what it actually is.  One central idea that allows me to sift through a lot of material and make sense of it.

No comments: