Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Torres vs. Torre

 There was a mini-controversy.  Lorca called Manuel Torre "Torres").  Torres is a common last name; Torre, in the singular, is a nickname, an artistic name. But, as Maurer points out, many people called him "Torres." That name appears on announcements, and so it was not Lorca alone who made that mistake. 

One person uses Lorca's mistake as a reason for arguing that Lorca was not that familiar with the flamenco world, in which Torre / Torres was well-known. But, since everyone else seemed to make that mistake, almost randomly, it not a good argument. Something I read today points out at "Torres" / "Torre" are pronounced almost the same in some Andalusian Spanish dialects. So you could hear someone say "Torre" and assume they were saying Torres but dropping the s.  This last person spent 3 pages on this, even though he admits that it is a trivial issue, and here I am blogging about it myself.   

No comments: