Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Vuelva Ud mañana

 The typical thing in Spain where they tell you to "come back tomorrow." It is the topic of a famous essay by Larra in the 19th century.  A foreigner comes to Spain to do some business, and never gets anything done because they always put. him off the the next day.  

I went to the archive on Friday. I had to make an appointment, so I did make an appointment to come back on Monday, and the electricity was out on Monday, as well as today (Tuesday).  So it will be Wed. at the earliest.  I'm glad I scheduled a month here in Granada.  

***

So I have some time to blog. I was looking at some Wimbledon scores, so tennis news feeds showed up on my facebook. Now, tennis can be rather dull; they hit the ball back and forth till one player misses, and if you don't know the players or simply don't care, it can get tedious. I like it ok, enough to watch if Nadal is playing, but I noticed that the headlines in the news feed, especially from yahoo!, are consistently over-the-top histrionic. Everything is devastating, or an outrage, or an uproar. Apparently, the tennis world is a place where every minor event provokes an extreme reaction. Usually, it's just someone wearing the wrong color shirt, or suffering an injury. 

"Rafa Nadal leaves fans in disbelief with insane Wimbledon act." You click on this, and it turns out to be just a very good tennis shot.  But you have to click on this kind of headline because you wonder what could truly merit that kind of headline. 

"Tennis world goes bonkers over Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal photo."  This just turns out to be ... a photo of these two players that people happen to like.  

I find these headlines hilarious. Maybe because of the dullness of the sport itself, you can only get someone to read an article if you amplify its histrionic character.  Maybe that explains the appeal of Kyrgios, who makes every moment overdramatic.  

 

No comments: