Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Lirio or limo?

 There's a line from a Lorca sonnet: "en doble lirio de caliente espuma."  Early edition had "limo" [slime] instead of "lirio" lily.  We can visualize how the ri can look like an m.  Double lily of hot foam [semen?].  Or double slime [silt] of hot foam? I prefer lirio here. The poet is taking about a lot of white things, like snow, lilies, whiteness itself [blancura]. Limo is more like mud, usually, not white.  

There is a whole poetic trope of white on white, or black on black. Riffaterre talks about it.  

3 comments:

Leslie B. said...

OT but really on the permanent topic.

Look. I got recruited to a Cajun band. I hate Cajun music but I went with it. I was recruited because I have a guitar and can play it, sort of, and read music and French. So.

This caused me to go through my sheet music from high school. I found the instructions the hippie teacher had given, and this was in the 70s. You will flip out. The instructions were:

De la musique avant toute chose.

Yeah. That sentence. Darío, Verlaine.

Over and out.

Jonathan said...

That's great. Both that you are in cajun band and the Verlaine quote.

Leslie B. said...

Update. There has been controversy about that guitar. They wanted me to get another one, for steel strings, and I said the cheapest one that would actually be better would cost at least $1500. I bought this one used in 1972 for $300, selling my Israel bonds, it's a Tamura P60, you can't get this easily now. So now, this instrument they were disparaging, they beg to touch. Hah.