Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, September 9, 2022

2nd epilogue to "Delusions of Mediocrity"

I think it is Oscar Pettiford playing bass

on this album of Lee Konitz and Warne Marsh.

Later I'll look it up, and change it if I am wrong. 

I had this LP as a kid 



and studied the liner notes with a certain earnestness; 

the song is called "Don't Squawk." 

When the song came on I was reading 

sound of wave in channel 



by Stephen Ratcliffe, and earlier today

I was reading his book about Campion and song

in a coffee shop, after reading a few weeks ago

his letters to and from New York School poet Barbara Guest. 


I am thinking of my poem recently completed

called "Delusions of Mediocrity," and wondering

if I can keep up this vein of flat writing

any more. This diary of uninteresting things


happening, but written in dull language too! But

people liked my poem, the one about how bacon

makes a noise that I didn't quite fathom 

and other things of equal banality;  


other things, too, my distaste for epiphanies  

and phrases like "man's search for meaning," 

redolent of a time when I was young

and people actually talked like that.  



 









No comments: