Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

A story

 I heard a short story by Sherman Alexie in my car. I think it's called "The Door." 

A man is a film editor. He is editing a semi-pornographic film at home in the middle of the day. Someone knocks on the door, he doesn't answer, and then he hears glass break in the basement. He grabs his son's metal little-league metal baseball bat. It is small but metal. He goes down, confronts the black teen burglar, who charges him. The man swings the bat and kills the teen. 

He isn't charged with murder, but is vilified in the press as white man killing a black teen. But he is not white, but a registered Spokane Indian! He protests about this misidentification, gets vilified more. Also is vilified for editing porno film! Now for the first time he is uneasy around blacks. 

Of course it is not a light-hearted story, but it is not humorless either. It is intersectional in all the right ways, mostly in the way the character, who narrates in the first person, has a high opinion of himself. He thinks of himself as a savior figure by editing the film to minimize the exploitation of the young woman performing in it, but it ends up being far worse. The bat is brilliant detail. It is small, but at the same time powerful. 

The initial point is that in film editing, you don't need to show someone entering into a room through a door, because it people are already inside, you can surmise they entered through a door. But yet this unimportant detail can be important after all: an unanswered knock on the door has its own consequences.  

No comments: