Featured Post

Lilt: a theory of melody

A melody has to catch the ear. A lilt is an up and down movement that has to be asymmetrical or surprising in some way. It can go up, and ...

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Where Did the Day Go? (4)

7:15. I get up and shower, shave today. I check my email. I put my clothes on and leave the apt.

8:15: I find myself in my office somehow with a double espresso in my hand. I write two letters of recommendation and work on the itinerary for the speaker.

9:05. I have been working hard on these things. I begin my blog post about where the day is going and how it went there. I try to think of some ideas for my 11 a.m. class. I realize I have to assign a paper topic today, so I write up that and xerox it. I sign a form that the chair wants me to sign nominating me for some university committee. I space out for a few minutes reading blogs. I still don't have any good ideas for my class.

10:10. I decide to open up my article an work on it for ten minutes. I'm not getting ideas for class anyway. I work until 10:45 on the article.

11:00-12:15. I teach my class.

12:20: I check my email. Eat lunch and talk to colleagues until about 1:15. Xerox some poems for my 3 p.m. class (to read for next Monday). I send a recommendation by fax. I look over what I have to teach today. A student comes in to talk to me. I'm told the fax didn't go through. We'll try again tomorrow.

2:30. I better concentrate on class prep now. I go to to get some coffee after reading for about 5 minutes.

3-4:20. I teach my other class.

4:20. I vegetate for a while. Check the flight status of the flight I'm meeting later. I eventually get so bored I open up my document and do a little more work on it. Curiously, the document has grown by 300 words today, even though I hardly felt I worked on it at all.

5:24. I just idly surf the net for a while.

5:40: I leave for the airport.

7:05: I pick up the speaker from the airport.

8:15: I bring the speaker to the hotel. We have dinner.

9:47. I am back at my apartment. I am not about to do any more work now.

11 p.m. Bedtime.

A busy and productive day. I managed to squeeze in some research between classes and miscellaneous tasks. There were dead times during the day, but really I was pretty busy for 13.5 hours.

No comments: