Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Write in the Morning, Research in the Afternoon, Plan in the Evening

I often plan in the evening. For example, I might make a list of things to do the next day, or rewrite my plan of action for finishing a project. These planning sessions do not produce any actual writing, but I find they are tremendously productive.

I like writing and rewriting my plan of when I will write what chapters. It keeps me on track and motivated, and allows me to see my weekly, monthly, and yearly goals with great clarity. If you have a very mild form of obsessive-compulsive disorder, as I do, it can be very reassuring.

1 comment:

profacero said...

I like the same schedule except --

I use the evenings not for planning (I'm organized by nature and not OCD) but for fooling around, unstructured reading and snooping so to speak, reading research off topic, so that I can come upon surprises.

I do like the planning and lists, though, I just somehow do them during writing or during research.

This all is, of course, when I'm actually functioning -- it's not how I run every day now, it's just what actually works and what I'm trying to get back to. It's interesting to find someone else does things so similarly.