Featured Post

I love theory

I mean music theory, here. It is funny that what goes by the name music theory would be, in literature, the equivalent of prosody and plot c...

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Distinguished

I have decided to put myself up for distinguished professor. There, I said it. The secret is out. Someone else nominates you, but you have to do a substantial amount of of the work yourself.

I don't feel very distinguished from the inside, most of the time. I don't think most people think of themselves that way, even semi-arrogant people such as me. I always expect people to say, "Ha, so you think you are distinguished!" Yet if I look at my cv from the outside, as though it were someone else's, then I am more impressed with myself. A third perspective is when I read something I have written in the past and no longer remember writing it. Then I can experience the semi-objective frisson of thinking the guy I used to be had something to say.

From inside I just feel like the average bookish college professor. I am not impressed because that's just who I naturally am. Everything I do just flows naturally from the fact that I was the kid reading more books than everyone else around me.

No comments: