Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, November 10, 2012

How To Write An Article in 30 Days

Here's what you need:

ALL of your research materials in one place. Every book, article, that you are going to cite, collected in one place, whether it is an office, a bag that you will take to the coffee shop, or your bedroom. I am not nearly as well-organized as you are, so I usually don't have this all together, but I'm sure you will.

NEXT, you need an idea of how much you can write. Your article will be 7,000 words, and you can write 500 a day. That's 14 days. You have 30 days to get those 14 days of writing in. Take out the weekends, or days when you are too busy teaching, and you should still be able to find about 20 days in which to do that 14 days of writing, with a day or two at the end to shape the article into a final draft. I'm sure you have more self-discipline than I do, so it should be a piece of cake.

YOU will need a time of the day in which to write. For me, lately, it's been from about 7:50 to 10:30 a.m. I'm sure you get up even earlier than I do, so it should be easy for you.

THAT'S all you need, assuming that the article will be the results of research that you've already completed. To have a successful academic career, you need to do this at least twice a year. You won't be writing 12 articles / chapters a year, but "only" 2. Some years, I haven't even written two articles, but I'm sure you will.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bag is a good idea.

A reason I like to go abroad to work is that I can only have the few books/articles I can fit in a bag. It is a good way of moving a piece along, only having certain materials.

A bag. Why I had not realized I can do this at home, too, is not clear to me.

I will now shop for the right bag, I want it to have an accordion folder inside.

Jonathan said...

I've always wanted to do a post on the "bag." I love having lots of different bags for my laptop and books. Maybe at some point I will do that post. :)

all new mess said...

my blog nice is car i was hire a man for write the articles for my blog and i pay to him in dollars daily one time i thought that Y not i do struggel for write myself and then i open some site from of my face and i start read from them about a knowledge then i did try for myself and c today i m success in my work you have also nice idea i agree with you friend wish you all the best huh ! Thanks

Jonathan said...

You're an idiot spammer. Please stay off my blog.