Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Hooters

I saw a clip on CNN (on one my devices) about a young woman who lost more than 100 lbs so she could work at Hooters. She had been in a bar wearing a hooters t-shirt and a guy told her she didn't look like a Hooter's waitress. The story was presented entirely as a feel-good human interest story. "Isn't this great?" was the entire tone and message. Even the guy's rude comment to her in the bar was presented as just the wake-up call she needed so she could lose the weight and actually work there. That was her own perspective too. She is getting a Master's degree.

All this to work at a place where the food is of fast-food quality, but with higher prices based entirely on the perceived attractiveness of the wait-staff. I guess it tells something about me that I even clicked on this story. I won't link to it but if you really want you can copy and paste this into your browser:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2014/05/06/pkg-woman-loses-weight-gains-job-at-hooters.wftx.html

2 comments:

clarissasblog.com said...

I've tried to explain to my husband the concept of Hooters but he still doesn't get it.

"But why would anybody want to go?" he keeps asking.

I suggested that he go to see for himself but he looked so terrified that I gave up.

Now that I've read this post, though, I will finally be able to explain that Hooters is a place where women go to get mean comments from men and fulfill their needs for masochistic enjoyment of abasement.

Jonathan said...

The rude comment was not at Hooters, but at a bar.