Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Overestimation

I think of myself as able to do a NYT crossword on line with 5 minutes added per day, so the Monday I would finish in 5 minutes, the Tuesday in 10, etc... But if I look at my stats, I find that the Monday actually takes me nearly 9, the Tuesday 16, the Wed. a little over 16, the Thursday 34, the Friday 42, and the the Saturday an hour. So I am really confusing my average times with my best ones. This means that there is a cognitive distortion at work that clouds my clear conception of my abilities.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Having written this I know it comes across as "humble brag."