Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, June 6, 2016

Security

Human relations requires that we take a short course on IT security, but doesn't tell you where the course is located. I ask them where, and they give me a broken link. I find the link by myself, and find it gives me an error message. HR tells me I should not block cookies or pop-ups (thus weakening my security in the meantime!). I get further into the course and get more error messages, and they ask me what browser I am using, etc... Well, I shouldn't have to spend more than half an hour getting into this course that only takes half an hour to complete. I've already spent that much time. Everyone in the KU community must take this course, and if even a tenth of them have my problems it will be a nightmare for everyone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have quit doing these trainings for the reasons you describe and am waiting to be sanctioned.

It is my strong suspicion that they will not do anything to me.

Thomas said...

Your experience is the natural result of universities having completely dropped the ball on the leveraging the potential of the Internet. After Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web, there wasn't really any longer a need for expensive "platforms". All we needed was some simple, intelligent information architecture (actually just some intelligent archivists in our university libraries). All you really needed was an email address and a public folder to upload your files to. Perhaps some elementary instruction in coding html. The infuriating complexity of the Web, and the need for "security", stems almost entirely from need to manage cash-flows.

Jonathan said...

Then, without resolving my problem, they send me a message saying my ticket has been closed, my complaint resolved.

Jonathan said...

There are about six or seven sites that one could log into in the university system. One for looking at class rosters and grades (enroll and pay); another for looking at my paycheck; another for managing my courses (blackboard); another for the library; another, a general portal (KU) for paying parking fines and other miscellaneous matters. The other system, the mysterious "my talent" site, is where I need to go to do the security course.

Security would presumably mean having secure passwords to each of these sites and not letting anyone else in to all these sites pretending to be me.. I do have an email address and I can load files to various public folders, or store them on drop box or on a flash drive. I can code some html too. So do I have all I need or not?