Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Day 4

I slept ok, with a brief spell of wakefulness between 3 and 5.  Some work emails to ponder upon awakening. For some reason when I wake up in the middle of the night I want to memorize "Canto del caminar."

***

Morning session was good, with A. Soria Olmedo and two musicologists. I still wish there were more critical talks, and fewer ones that presented a mass of information. Lunch with Melissa Dinverno and Andrés Soria Olmedo. We talked about Ian Gibson a bit and about the "Bones of Contention" movie that none of us liked. When I am with them I don't feel like a real Lorquista any more. One is married to Lorca's niece and has a father who also published articles on Lorca; the other studied under one of the main Lorquistas and has done mostly Lorca studies in her career.  This is a good corrective because I live and breathe Lorca, but still have much to learn.

***

I went on a walk after lunch.  I set the timer for 40 minutes and got exactly to the street I use to live on, Hernán Cortés.

***

Evening was a concert. The idea was to play music that Federico would have heard or played himself.  The piano player was very good, playing Beethoven, Debussy, Chopin, Albéniz, and Falla. I was sitting very close to him. I guess my bias would have been to hear music based on his work rather than a piece by Debussy he might have liked.  We asked the pianist later what he thought of the piano. He said that if he had come across it elsewhere, he would have thought of it as an old, bad piano, but that it worked well in this particular space, having a particular magic. Oh well.  I thought it was a good piano.

1 comment:

Leslie B. said...

There was an argument about Lorca at the Madrid city council meeting today.