Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Day 5

Ian Gibson appeared on Spanish tv last night talking about the exhumation of Franco. He was a bad parody of himself. He said that removing Franco from the Valle de los Caídos would make Spain a great country.  Well, no. I am in favor of removing him from there, but that is not the main obstacle for Spain to be a great nation, and doing so won't be some automatic vehicle to becoming great.

After insulting Rajoy, he went on to talk about how there should be an insult-free political culture, and went on about how everyone should have Antonio Machado's exact attitude of liberalism and tolerance. It was an embarrassing display of a lack of self-awareness.

***

The morning session was good. Mario Hernández, one of the classic Lorquistas, and a good talk about Lorca's drawings. We went to have beers, then back to the Resi where I was talking to ASO over lunch.

***

Evening was a Lorca play rewritten and expanded by someone else. My friend Melissa talked about how the whole play was shouted out rather than modulated. I objected to the intromission of other Lorca texts, from other poems and plays, into the play.

***

Afterwords we had some beers and tapas and a good conversation about the state of Lorca studies. I got back around midnight. The conference has been exhausting but in a good way, mostly.

No comments: