Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Ode

 Ode to Mary Oliver


In a good poem, like the ones you write, nobody masturbates or stubs their toe

They only hear magic voices telling them to change their life 

There is no burnt toast, only mystic animals and boxes of darkness 

There’s no evil, your lyric speakers always think well of themselves

Going off into the woods to embrace trees 

I don’t buy it because there should be a lot more insect bites  

You say you believe in whimsy and mischief, but you don’t really 

Your bland, pious words betray you 

Maybe your sanctimonious platitudes are the bad poems after all, Mary Oliver!

I’m coming to realize this as I write this ode to you  

Maybe my terribly bad poems are not so bad after all, 

Much as I try to make them worse and worse  

5 comments:

Leslie B. said...

Excellent!

It needs a little more punch, somehow I suddenly want a Baroque insult poem for M. O. but -- yes, this is why I don't like her work.

Phaedrus said...

Thank you for this, Jonathan!

I did my best to try not to think less of people who put Mary Oliver quotes on their FB wall, but I did not really succeed.

There is no delight in language in her poetry, no invention, though am sure she was nice, in that word's etymological sense.

Jonathan said...

The etymology of "nice" is "stupid," from the Latin nescio.

Phaedrus said...

One of my favourite etymologies,

Leslie B. said...

Y sí.