Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, January 28, 2018

More Rejection

The rejection project isn't going all that great. I did get a poem rejected from a journal one day after submission, but most of my requests for interviews have been met with acceptances. When I ask colleagues, whether here or elsewhere, to spend time to talk to me about my research, everyone says yes enthusiastically. What is it with people? Getting 100 rejections will be hard at this rate.  

Also, the rejections of poems are by people who don't know me, and thus I am not really putting myself out there all that much. I need to be rejected more in person for this to work to really desensitize myself to rejection so much that I don't even fear or feel it.

5 comments:

Leslie B. said...

OK, take some from me. Esteban's Fulbright was rejected, and our latest set of translations was rejected.

Leslie B. said...

AH, I see! This project is about taking it personally!

I don't take rejection personally but it scares me, it means no raise, things like that.

Leslie B. said...

I am still working on this, for Esteban.

Most advice on rejection has to do with not letting it destroy ego. However neither of us are concerned about it for that reason. It is not about ego, it is: without this grant, Esteban cannot do X, there is no way to it. It is why it is so frustrating, the common advice, do not let it go to ego. What if it is not about ego, but about being able, or nor able, to do your project?

Leslie B. said...

*not

Jonathan said...

It not only ego, though. It is also about creating opportunities for one's self. If you set up the equation like you have: there is Fulbright that will either allow him to do a project or not, then of course you are right. From this perspective, the project is not something inevitable, that he will find a way to do no matter what, but a 10% proposition (or whatever the acceptance rate is for Fulbrights).