Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Defensive

I'm reading a frustrating book on a trendy topic. It has some good and suggestive ideas, but is so defensive about being anti-academic and striking a certain cool pose that it seldom gets around to its actual points, much less developing them fully. The ideas are buried under mountains of verbiage. It'll say things like "I'm citing this by memory" or put in sarcastic asides and hashtags in brackets [in every paragraph]. The structure is digressive and provokes the response tl;dr.

There is a fallacy at work here: because my subject matter has these characteristics, my own discourse has to mirror those characteristics.

No comments: