Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

15 Minutes

I can't give a conference paper any more.  I need to play 12-18 minutes of music, so giving a 20 minute talk doesn't make sense.  Or 15, as I have seen in some conferences recently. Seriously? You want me to travel and have someone pay for that, and lodging, and I will speak for 15 minutes? I am not particularly long-winded, though more so than I used to be, but I need 50 minutes minimum nowadays. I wonder what musicologists do?  Or maybe they can refer to music that their audience already knows so they don't have to play it.  

1 comment:

Leslie B. said...

So be a symposium speaker or a keynote speaker.

A lot of the fun of conferences is listening to other people and seeing the books.