Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, August 24, 2018

I'm working on some cool ideas (cool for me, at least). I'm interested in music that popularizes poetry. Singing Góngora or Neruda with a folksy sounding guitar is cool.  I'm interested in the dynamic of what happens there. There is a lot of it, in the first place. We don't find this in the English-speaking world like this.

But then what gets really interesting is music in which this popularizing impetus is accompanied by a complex movement in the other direction. Now the music itself gets more intellectual, not only through the words, but through how the musical style itself has to change itself now that it is associated with this poem.  This counter-movement is where it gets really interesting.

When you play music in the classroom, students respond to it but don't have anything much to say unless they are given a framework for analysis. The worst thing is when they like the song but view it as audiovisual supplementation rather than the main point.


2 comments:

el curioso impertinente said...

Surely this trend took off big time when Serrat took up Machado in 1969. As such, it's mixed up with the cantautor tradition. I'm guessing there are examples prior to Serrat, but he's the one who set the mode. Given the socio-political circumstances, I wonder if he was following Latin American models--I have no idea, but perhaps worth looking at.

Jonathan said...

I've looked at Serrat and Paco Ibáñez. I think they started this but it is also tied to Chiiean and Cuban trends of the 60s. Ibánez did a Lorca / Góngora record before Serrat's Machado.