Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, March 3, 2019

12 tone

I wrote a tone row. To the extent that it sounds good, it is because it suggests tonal relationships, as when I went up a diminished triad, or up three notes of the beginning of a minor scale. Its retrograde sounded really good; its inversion was ok, and its retrograde inversion wasn't great sounding. The twelve-tone system is ruled by a systematic avoidance of tonality, but by this system the tonal system remains there apophatically. Anyway, I don't think the melody is any less of a melody because it happens to have twelve notes without repetitions. I'm phrasing it in groups like this:

F Gb Db C /  Eb D E / G Bb / Ab A B

No comments: