Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, March 25, 2019

I hear voices

I'm not sure why, but once in a while I get a voice telling me to do something. Not anything psychotic, just a suggestion for what I ought to be doing. The voice will say, memorize this poem, or, take piano lessons. It won't be a literal voice, just an idea popping into my head, but with a degree of urgency that is inexplicable.

I have never built anything with my hands, so this particular suggestion is that I should build something out of wood. The easiest thing I could think of was a cheese board, so that will be my first project. I got two small pieces of maple board cut for me at Home Depot, after first going to another lumber store that was not helpful.  I decided to start with two very small ones so that I could learn on those before making a full sized one.  I will make one first, from start to finish, with the first piece.  The second one will be a bit better, I hope.  I watched a few videos and most people seem to cut up little pieces of wood and glue them together.  Instead, I will start with one solid piece, plane, sand, and oil it. After my second one, I will find a bigger piece of wood and make one of proper dimensions.

Clearly, I need to be doing something with my hands that is meaningful.  I do not even own tools to speak of, beyond the typical hammer and screwdriver kind of thing.

No comments: