Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Imagine

Imagine we had to use an abstruse set of technical terms to describe the colors of a painting. We could say, yellow, or dark blue.

 And then, instead of a more or less adequate reproduction of the painting in our art history book, we were referred to a chart written in a system of technical notation that we couldn't use to visualize the painting unless we has been specially trained in the notation system.

***

My idea is that people easily understand everything in music except for two things:

Harmony.

Large-scale structure.

***

I am listening in my car to all my music. I started with songs that started by BA and now I am on BE. I came to the song Bemsha Swing and heard four versions of it (two by Monk himself) and then my own recording of it came up. I did not hate what I heard. I play it slow and with a sweetness to it that is different. Of course I am not a pro, so I wouldn't compare it for a second with other versions. But it was mine and so I wasn't displeased.

No comments: