Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Dynamic

The relationship between Elena and Lila is dynamic. Since both are going through life development, in childhood and adolescence, and then in the early adult stage in the second volume, their relationship can never be static. Admiration, jealousy and rivalry, solidarity, intimacy and distance, are all variable factors. 

These observations aren't particularly insightful on my part. Probably *everybody* knows this about fiction. Yet Ferrante herself has written novels that don't have this dynamic quality. I don't think Almudena Grandes has this quality in the least, or is even interested in developing it. 

No comments: