Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Siglo XX

 I told my students that I am from a different place than they are from, the twentieth century. They are natives of the twenty-first century. Literally, some are from the final years of the 20th, but their formative years are mostly from the current century. I always like to contrast "The past is foreign country; they do things differently there" (Hartley) with: "The past is never dead. It's not even past." (Faulkner) 

I had an assignment to have the students interview their past or future selves. It didn't work because they all had their 17-year old self and their 20-years old self, and there wasn't enough separation to make it interesting.  

No comments: