Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, October 3, 2020

Arlen

 Someone was asking a party yesterday who wrote the words and music for the wizard of Oz.  I knew that it was Yip Harburg and Harold Arlen, though it took me 90 seconds to come up with Arlen's name. Someone asked me how I knew this, and I had moment in which I was thinking, that of course I knew the songs of Rodgers and Hart, Cole Porter, Duke Ellington Gershwin, etc... from the Ella Fitzgerald songbooks and from jazz versions of these songs.

 It's not the everyone should know all of this. I am ignorant of a lot of classic rock that everyone else at the party probably knows much better than I do, since I am on the younger end of this group and am not a rock fan per se. I don't even dislike classic rock and country from that period; I am just not an ardent fanatic of it.   

No comments: