Featured Post

Lilt: a theory of melody

A melody has to catch the ear. A lilt is an up and down movement that has to be asymmetrical or surprising in some way. It can go up, and ...

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Wag the Dog

All your obsessions, complexes, fetishes, syndromes, dogmas, rituals and habits, self-definitions, specializations, investments, ranks and insignias, isms, everything you are attached to, everything you think necessary to position yourself in the world, to gain an edge, to get others to see in in a certain way: all of this is a dog wagging you. You are the tail being wagged around by this dog. It's no wonder you feel helpless and unfree most of the time. It's been a lot of work to accumulate and keep track of all this baggage, so you won't willingly part with any of it.   

This is a paraphrase of what I told myself today while meditating.  I usually try not to think when I'm meditating, but I am out of practice so I could not prevent  it, and I think it is a useful insight, for me if not for you.  

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Yes.

Leslie said...

Of course, I am constantly wagged by tails, and I complain of it constantly.

A list of tails.

1. You must prove yourself as a highly successful academic in the humanities, before going on to consider what you would like to do in life. (Get a good general education that respects Western culture, and some work experience)

2. Well, there are several others, but as I write out that first one, it seems to cover so much.