Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Confident Authority

"The author projects a voice of confident authority."

That was my favorite line from my reader's reports, especially since it was from the reader who had more substantive suggestions / things sh/e found that needed to be addressed. Reading that phrase I realized that I do try to sound like that.

3 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

I bet part of that air of "confident authority" is a result of not using "I would like to suggest that ..." – and more generally just writing clearly and directly, without signposting and hedging.

Jonathan said...

Yes. That and knowing my shit.

Andrew Shields said...

One of the reasons I find such signposting and hedging so irritating is that it often makes it seem like people don't know their shit.