Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Classical*

I am playing some Beethoven sonatas. One is #20 in G major. Relatively simple, and with only two movements. The other is #14 in C# minor, known as the "Moonlight." It is more difficult, and the final movement, the presto, is way beyond me. I have learned about half a page of the first, most famous movement. The second movement does not look like it will be beyond my reach.

Anyway, I've found that my relation to the classical style has changed when I can play it myself. I've never really had a personal relationship with this music before. My previous interest was mostly in string quartets by Haydn and Mozart, but I don't play those instruments so it was a listening interest, which is quite different. The sonata 20 is more Mozart like than like Beethoven's other music. I find I can express that lightness and grace and it is a wonderful feeling. I love the parts that are "just" scales going up and down, or repeated arpeggios. They are deeply calming. There are turbulent moments, but turbulence is temporary. The therapeutic effect is a different one than I have with Mompou, given the difference in their styles.  

*[I am thinking here of classical music as music of the period from Haydn to Beethoven, as opposed to baroque or romantic musics coming before or after.]

No comments: