Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Fake bad poetry

My bad poetry is not really, bad, but a carefully modulated variety of parody. It is impossible to write bad poetry on purpose, because the result will be a parody, not a genuinely bad poem. Because the parody can be modulated, I can also sneak in things that are deliberately "good."

Today, I thought up the beginning of a poem:

I went to live among stupid and humorless people
In a place far from mountains and sea

I was an arrogant stranger among them
They brought me fruit...  

So you see everything depends on keeping the tone at the exactly correct temperature. The poem can go anywhere from there. Each line has to follow the previous one and be both surprising and inevitable, in some way.

The speaker refracts some of my experience but is never me, exactly. In genuinely bad poetry the speaker is always just the poet. The poet has never learned to imagine someone else speaking, which I think is fundamental. To write parody the speaker must be a bit naive, or self-involved, or clueless about how he or she might sound to someone else. Here, for example, the speaker accuses others of being humorless, but is over invested in himself.

***

A new classification of arrogance came out. The authors say that arrogance can be individual (thinking oneself superior), comparative (thinking oneself superior to others), or antagonistic (voicing this belief about others' inferiority). My question, probably an arrogant one, has to do with the way they define arrogance as an exaggerated opinion of oneself in relation to the truth. Actually, the arrogant person might actually be superior. In other words, arrogant behavior is the same whether the person is justified or not in the belief of superiority. I am not excusing arrogance, but just the opposite.  I'm saying that being superior on some given dimension does not justify the attitude we call arrogant.  For example, suppose there are four physicists.

1) A brilliant physicist, and arrogant about it.
2) A brilliant physicist, who has no doubts about ability but is not arrogant in showing it.
3) A physicist of barely average ability, but an arrogant person.
4) A brilliant physicist, but who suffers from impostor syndrome.
5 A physicist of barely average ability, who is well about of averageness.

1 and 3 are arrogant. 3 and 4 misperceive their own abilities. 2 and 5 have an accurate reading of their own abilities, and neither is arrogant.

No comments: