Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Playing in time with yourself

I watched a drum video that suggested the main thing to do is to play in time with yourself. The best drummers have control over the coordination and the feel, so everything is in synch with ... you. No flamming  with notes that are supposed to be simultaneous, every thing that's supposed to be the same, must be the same, for example, hit the same part of the drum head every time in the same pattern. Then I realize it is the same with the piano. The hands have to be one, and the pedaling perfectly aligned where you want it.

Then I realized that everything is like this, really, even singing or writing.

***

I realized a few days ago that you can play the melody of I got Rhythm to the chords of Bemsha Swing. Not the bridge, of course, just the A section.  Bemsha Swing is not a Rhythm change song, but it almost is. That means you could probably play the melody of Bemsha Swing to Rhythm changes.

No comments: