Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Antiflamenquismo

 Antiflamenquismo was a thing.  I have a book by Samuel Llano on Spanish music in Paris, and now have found another book by the same author on flamenco, organ grinder music, and brass bands in Madrid in the nineteenth and early 20th centuries. Excellent.  

Antiflamenquismo is a moral panic (my phrase, not Llano's), among the middle class, and intellectuals, journalists. Flamenquismo itself was popular among the masses.  Andalusian immigrants to Madrid were associated with social disorder, drinking, prostitution.  

Zorrilla, Alas, Palacio Valdez, Ortega, Unamuno, Baroja, Azorín...  Nobody liked flamenco, except the Machado family.  

No comments: