Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

How to Write an Article in Six Days (day 3)

Today is a day for cleaning up some loose ends in what you've already written. Your word count might not rise very much. Start with the introduction, then go on to some of the other sections you've sketched out. 

Now take a break Have some coffee. Do something else for a bit. 

You might think of a section of the main body of the article that you can make some rapid progress on. For example, I realize that I haven't yet written a word about any of the major flamenco singers I'm studying in the article. If I write just a sentence on each one, then that's 100 words right there. That also gives me something to look forward to on day 4, where I will do most of the analytical "body" of the paper. 

I remembered too, that I am giving a talk in Kenyon College in the Spring. I could use this paper for that as well as for my Polish article. If I write this draft before school begins, I will have done work for three different, non-conflicting obligations: an in-house paper given at research group here in KS, a paper given at another university, and an article.  You can't publish the same article twice, but you can use the same material for different purposes.  

To recap a bit.  The importance of the "future perfect" mentality.  Before starting, you will have already started, doing many necessary preliminaries.  The importance of having an intention: you are writing in order to give a talk, submit an article to a journal. Then, just taking the right amount of time each day. Enough to write 500-1000 words. 

No comments: