Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Stealth (cont.)

My first stealth attack worked very well. I got up at 6, took a shower and brewed myself an espresso, opened up a new document on the computer, and completed a nice section of a chapter using material I had in another, messier document. My chapter never expected me to get up that early so it had no time at all to prepare its defenses. I ended up with 1,400 words in less than two hours, thanks to the elements of surprise.

A few hours later, I attacked again. In its weakened condition the chapter had no resistance. It certainly did not expect me to go at it again, when I had already done so much. It expected me to be complacently self-satisfied.

I didn't even have a desk or chair in my apartment where I was working. I just leaned up against the wall and wrote with my laptop on my ... lap.

No comments: