Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Underestimating Myself

Ego adjustments have to go in both directions. Being too arrogant is a flaw, but I've found that I also tend to underestimate my accomplishments. I might look at someone's cv, for example, and see it as wholly respectable, even though mine is three times more impressive. In other words, if I just look at my cv as though it were someone else's, I am really impressed by myself. Looking from inside my own head, however, I am not all that impressed. In real life I'm just a schmuck.

1 comment:

nicoleandmaggie said...

I've noticed that people who tend to do well in my field tend to have a lot of moxy, regardless of the actual contents of their cvs.

If you've got the cv, then fake the moxy.

Though man, I wish when I looked at other people's cvs that I felt mine were 3x as impressive. Obviously I need to work harder.