Featured Post

Lilt: a theory of melody

A melody has to catch the ear. A lilt is an up and down movement that has to be asymmetrical or surprising in some way. It can go up, and ...

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Free Play of Ideas and the Disciplined Project

I enjoy the free play of thought, unconstrained by the discipline of a project that seems to narrow things down excessively. I also like the focus of a strong project that direct my attention at specific things. It is impossible to be interested in everything at the same time. What I really enjoy, then, is the free-play of ideas within a project, and the tension between developing an idea for its own sake and developing it within the framework of an argument. Many time I have developed an idea without any ulterior motive and it has ended up in a project. The disciplined project colonizes the rest of my ideas, cherry-picking the best ones and throwing away the others.

No comments: