Featured Post

Lilt: a theory of melody

A melody has to catch the ear. A lilt is an up and down movement that has to be asymmetrical or surprising in some way. It can go up, and ...

Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's Not About the Housework

The purpose of the experiment about how many household chores I could get done was not really about the housework. I wanted to see how much an hour of doing things like that amounted to. I know what an hour of reading is, 40-100 pages depending on what kind of reading it is. I know how many graduate papers I can read and comment in an hour (2-3). I didn't know how many things I could do around the house before the timer rang.

It's also about uni-tasking, the idea of just concentrating for one thing for an hour without doing anything else, with no distractions. Many significant things fit into one-hour segments. Excercise for an hour, that's plenty for a day. Spend an hour talking on the phone with someone--that's a significant conversation. It takes an hour to cook dinner if you are making something not too basic. You have 16-18 hours when you are not sleeping, so it ought to be possible to get a lot even in 4 or 5 of those hours, between exercise, work, etc...

1 comment:

profacero said...

Haha! Yes, I know, and it's a very good exercise! :-)