Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Monday, May 16, 2011

Transitions

Transitions are tough. I am currently still trying to turn in my grades while I am living in my house (instead of my apartment in Kansas). The last few weeks I've been exhausted and not nearly as productive as my normal self. I failed to meet my goal in the writing group for three weeks in a row, being a horrible role model. The anxiety about coming back home for the summer was immense, because I was sure I had forotten a book I needed. It is also hard to live with two young women again (my wife and daughter) when I am used to living alone most of the week.

So for this week, I am going to try to do one, and only one significant thing each day. In fact, that is what I will do all summer. I will try to schedule a few week-long vacations too, when I will also refrain from reading all of your blogs as well as writing on my own.

Monday (today): Course proposal. [UPDATE: did that.]

Tueday (turn in final grades for undergraduate course).

Wed. Significant writing on "Was Lorca a Poetic Thinker?"

Thu. The same.

Fri. The same.

Sat. The same.

Sun. The Same.

1 comment:

Professor Zero said...

After finals in May I always have Home Maintenance and Spring Cleaning of the house and office and yard (activities I do not like, I only like decorating). It is heartrending because all work leads to more work, with nothing in its place, and it always seems to take from finals to Memorial Day. I go to work to escape.

So now it's: each day one practical thing, one academic thing, one workout, and one fun thing, that's the recipe.

After memorial day it will be: one teaching thing, one research thing, one workout and one fun thing. I will also have one practical day per week, on which day I will also do a service thing, and one day off, which may include a research thing (like a day off to go to a library).