Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What Do You Do The Rest Of The Time?

Now that I've turned grades in, the rest of the summer I only really have to do about 1-3 hours of work a day on my articles and book project. Once I get the two articles done I will take weekends off and only do that amount of work on 5 days a week. On a few trips I am going to take, I won't do any work at all.

The rest of the time I will work on my scholarly base by reading other things outside my field, relax, and listen to music.

I can afford this very relaxed schedule because I am a full professor and have paid my dues, so to speak. My current project is going well so I don't feel i am behind at all on that. But here's the thing. That's what I've always tried to do. Work a brief period every day on scholarly projects. To the extent that I did not do so in the past, I suffered from it, whether I procrastinated or tried to work around the clock to meet a deadline. In other words, I would have been even more productive before if I had taken the "luxury" to do what I'm doing now, and I would have been much happier doing it. Unfortunately, I didn't have an older version of myself on hand to give me this advice.

2 comments:

Tanya Golash-Boza said...

It is so hard to believe, but so true!!

that is my plan for the summer too. We will be in Barcelona, so I will write in the mornings, and enjoy the city in the afternoons.

profacero said...

You can write a book in a year in 15 hours a week. This was what the graduate students in the dorm I lived in as a freshman said and it is true.

When I was working well -- that is to say in graduate school and as an assistant professor -- I worked in summer as you do now and got a lot done. Then, when I was told I had "too much control" over my life and was "too happy for someone who had a hard childhood," I became less efficient and started having to put in more time. I have never been as productive since.