Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, January 21, 2013

From a course description

This course began as a course on translation. One day I brought in idioms and proverbs into class and realized they held the possible material for another course. I next gave a course (several times) on proverbs, songs, and ballads [refranes, canciones, romances] or popular poetry in the Hispanic world. This literature course then morphed back into a language course, from “Idiom to Proverb.” This is the second time I have taught the course using this title. Perhaps in its next incarnation it will be another course on translation, developing a theory of translation based on what is “idiomatic” in a given language, and how those differences get negotiated. My job would be dull if I couldn’t develop new courses. Often, material from my courses makes its way into my books and articles too.

No comments: