Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Monday, January 21, 2013

From a course description

This course began as a course on translation. One day I brought in idioms and proverbs into class and realized they held the possible material for another course. I next gave a course (several times) on proverbs, songs, and ballads [refranes, canciones, romances] or popular poetry in the Hispanic world. This literature course then morphed back into a language course, from “Idiom to Proverb.” This is the second time I have taught the course using this title. Perhaps in its next incarnation it will be another course on translation, developing a theory of translation based on what is “idiomatic” in a given language, and how those differences get negotiated. My job would be dull if I couldn’t develop new courses. Often, material from my courses makes its way into my books and articles too.

No comments: